SHIELD Academy > Enroll > FAQs

Thank you for your interest in enrolling with Shield Academy. Enrollment at Shield is a simple process, but you do need your supporting documents ready to make the process even smoother. Please gather the following prior to beginning your online enrollment.


1. Proof of Age

Provide a copy of one of the following for every student to verify age eligibility.

  • County ­issued Birth Certificate
  • Passport

Where do I get these?

  • You can order these online through the California Department of Public Health.
  •  If your child was born in another state, please visit the CDC’s Where to Write for Vital Records webpage for more information. When using this tool, please remember to follow the CDC’s Application Guidelines.
  •  Have questions about your U.S. passport? Visit the U.S. Department of State FAQs page.

How old must my child be to enroll in Transitional Kindergarten (TK)?

  •  If your child is too young to begin kindergarten for the 2016-2017 school year but will be 5 years old between September 2, 2016 and Dec. 2, 2016, your student is eligible to enroll in Transitional Kindergarten.

How old must my child have to be to enroll in Kindergarten?

  • The birth date cut off for Kindergarten enrollment for 2016-2017 is September 1, 2011.  Your child must be 5 years old on or before September 1, 2016 to enroll into Kindergarten for the 2016-2017 school year.

2. Proof of Residence

You must reside in San Bernardino, Riverside, Imperial, San Diego or Orange counties to be eligible for enrollment and you must provide proof:

What is an acceptable proof of residence?

A.  If student is in own residence (rent or owned)

  1. Either a close of escrow paper, current monthly mortgage statement, current year’s property tax statement, current rental/lease agreement, or current month rental receipt, or
  2. A current utility bill or utility turn-on receipt (gas, water or electric), or
  3. A DMV form (driver’s license or California I.D.) with current address, or

B.  If family is living with another family or family member, you must provide a statement signed by yourself and the homeowner stating the living situation, as well as one of the documents listed above.

3. Child’s Proof of Immunization

Please provide a copy of your child’s (yellow) immunization card or record of immunization from his/her doctor.

INFORMATION RELATED TO SB277  (see FAQ to the right)

Because we are a non-classroom based independent study program, immunization cards or reports do not need to be complete. We simply must have a record of what, if any, vaccines your child has received.


When Do I Need to Provide My Immunization Records?

  • Immunization records must be presented prior to enrolling.

Where Can I Get Immunizations Records and immunizations for My Student?

  • The California Immunization Record (sometimes called the “yellow card”) helps you keep track of what shots our child has received and when. Your doctor gave these out when your child was a baby as a record of his/her immunizations. You can be get immunizations from doctor’s offices, clinics, or hospitals.

What if I Need Assistance Paying for Vaccines?

  • By law, California managed-care organizations (such as Kaiser Permanente and Blue Cross) must cover recommended immunizations for children. Your health plan may charge a co-payment for the visit. If you have no insurance, use Healthy Families, Medi-Cal or other

What about SB277 and exemptions?

Students are exempt from the immunization requirements if:

  1. The Student is enrolled in a home-based private school; or
  2. The Student is enrolled in an independent study non classroom-based program; or
  3. A licensed physician provides a written statement stating that the physical condition of the child is such, or medical circumstances relating to the child are such, that immunization is not considered safe, indicating the specific nature and probable duration of the medical condition or circumstances, including, but not limited to, family medical history, for which the physician does not recommend immunization; or
  4. Prior to January 1, 2016, Parent or guardian files a letter, waiver or affidavit, which is maintained on file at a private or public elementary or secondary school, child day care center, day nursery, nursery school, family day care home, or development center within the state, stating that the parent or guardian holds beliefs opposed to immunization for his/her child.
    • Students with the above on file may enroll without the required immunizations until the pupil enrolls in the next “grade span,” as defined above, (TK/K through 6th grade or 7th – 12th grade).

4.  Child’s Report of Health Examination and Oral Health Assessment

Student enrolling in TK or Kindergarten (or the first time entry in a CA public school) must have a completed Health Examination and Oral Health Assessment Form. Parents may waive the requirement by completing a waiver for both the health and oral requirement.

Where are the Health Exam Forms and the Oral Health Form?

5.  Prior Academic Records (optional)

Report Card (grades K-8) – Submit a copy of the student’s most recent report card, if available.

How do I get my child’s report card?

  • Most schools send a copy of student report cards to parents each semester.  Check with his/her previous school for a copy of the report card.

6.  Other Documents for Special Circumstances

Though not applicable to all families, please submit the documentation requested if the information below is specific to your student.

Proof of Legal Guardianship: If your legal guardianship is determined by a court order, please submit a copy of the order.

Disciplinary Reports: if your student has been expelled or suspended within the last year, please submit a copy of the disciplinary reports provided by the previous school.

Special Education Documentation: If your student has had an Individualized Education Plan (IEP), please submit the most recent IEP or 504 from within the last year and any other documentation.